A walk from Wiltshire's highest point and through the villages of Tollard Royal and Berwick St James
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Access : Park at car park at head of rough track. Head through gate at top of car park, sign-posted Wessex Way.
(1) Path enters private woodland and is well sign-posted through private estate.
(2) Where path splits, follow sign-post for Tollard Royal.
(3) On reaching Tollard Royal, immediately take sharp left and double-back on well-defined track, sign-posted Win Green.
(4) On reaching main road, there is the option to continue following track back to carpark for a shorter walk. For longer walk leave track onto road.
(5) Cross road and pick-up bridleway on RHS. Follow this downhill into Berwick St James.
(6) On reaching the village, turn left and follow road through village, passing church & pub on left.
(7) Turn to the right
(8) On leaving the village, take first bridleway on right after house, following uphill track.
(9) Turn right, where track meets Ox Drove.
(10) Follow Ox Drove, then road to rejoin the track to the car park.
(11) Look for gate on left leading to Win Green summit & trig point.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.88 - alt. km 0.88
2 : km 2.85 - alt. km 2.85
3 : km 4.03 - alt. km 4.03
4 : km 6.96 - alt. km 6.96
5 : km 7.12 - alt. km 7.12
6 : km 8.49 - alt. km 8.49
7 : km 8.71 - alt. km 8.71
8 : km 9.86 - alt. km 9.86
9 : km 11.65 - alt. km 11.65
10 : km 13.39 - alt. km 13.39
11 : km 14.55 - alt. km 14.55
D/A : km 15.19 - alt. km 15.19
Bridleways can be muddy after rain/snow.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Great views from Win Green
A circular walk from Tuckton/Wick to Hengistbury Head using path along the river Stour and Christchurch harbour.
A gentle exploratory ramble along nearby footpaths with pleasant views. Nothing onerous.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.