A hike on the highest summit of the Rhône Department.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park your car at Col de Crie.
(S/F) Follow the D23 towards Chénelette (south). After a few hundred metres, take a path on the right heading up through the forest (GR76).
(1) At the crow's foot above the place called Verrière, keep heading straight.
(2) At the Croix des Oncins crossroads, take a left onto a carriage road and keep going until a fork.
(3) Go right over roughly 600 m.
(4) Leave the GR76 and go left onto a trail heading up through Bois de la Verrière.
(5) After a passage run-down by logging vehicles you'll reach Cabane de Soleilhavoup. The path then heads down a slight slope reaching a road. Head right on the road.
(6) After 300 to 400 m, leave the road taking an uphill trail to the right. Keep to the left at both junctions arriving at a crossroads meeting up with "la Croix d'Amanzé".
(7) Don't take it, instead go right, up a trail heading north-east through undergrowth, then turn left towards Mont Saint-Rigaud and its summit.
(8) Head down a small road leading to a fountain (source du Mont Saint-Rigaud).
(9) Once you get to the fountain, go right due north. Reach the GR7 on a section of road that you'll leave to go left near high point 899 m.
(10) At the crossing, head downhill to the right then head due north crossing Ajoux communes until a crossroads, hardly noticeable.
(11) Head uphill to the right reaching a small road. Follow the road and the GR7 to the left reaching a crossing (high point 820 m). Leave the GR7 and take a path on the right heading down through the woods due east (do not take the large path on the right). Keep going straight, ignoring trailheads to the right and left reaching a large track.
(12) Turn right and follow the track reaching Châtelard pedestrian viaduct.
(13) Keep heading straight on the path through the undergrowth leading to open meadows.
(14) At the crossroads, take the path on the right and head off to the right, due south at high point 584. Keep to the right at the next junction and head up towards Brete crossroads.
(15)Turn off to the left. First flat, the path then heads downhill towards Monsols Village and reaches a small road. Take a hairpin short cut to the left.
(16) At the first sight of houses, head right on a trail along the D43 reaching Col de Crie (S/F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 1.75 - alt. km 1.75 - La Varrière, crow's foot
2 : km 2.28 - alt. km 2.28 - Croix des Oncins
3 : km 2.65 - alt. km 2.65 - Go right at the fork
4 : km 3.28 - alt. km 3.28 - Trail on the left
5 : km 4.11 - alt. km 4.11 - Cabane de Soleilhavoup
6 : km 4.6 - alt. km 4.6 - Leave the road, take the path on the right
7 : km 5.72 - alt. km 5.72 - La Croix d'Amanzé
8 : km 6.17 - alt. km 6.17 - Le Mont Saint-Rigaud
9 : km 6.6 - alt. km 6.6 - Source du Mont Saint-Rigaud, go right
10 : km 7.75 - alt. km 7.75 - Crossing, go right
11 : km 8.62 - alt. km 8.62 - Crossing, follow the GR17 on the right
12 : km 10.21 - alt. km 10.21 - Trail, go right
13 : km 11.24 - alt. km 11.24 - Châtelard Viaduct
14 : km 12.34 - alt. km 12.34 - Crossroads, go right
15 : km 13.1 - alt. km 13.1 - Brete Crossroads, go left
16 : km 14.07 - alt. km 14.07 - Right, trail along the D43
D/A : km 15.28 - alt. km 15.28
A well waymarked trail (SR1) until Croix des Oncins (2). Then SR2. Back to SR1 at Brete Crossroads (15). (See photos).
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2929ET.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
According to legend, the Mont Saint Rigaud source (9) has miraculous qualities, particularly that of restoring female fertility.
Wonderful hike in Burgundy to discover "Solutré" (a landmark) and the "Rock of Vergisson”.
From Col du chatoux (or col du Chêne), this hike goes through woods along the ridge line offering wonderful views:
-over the Saône and eastern Beaujolais valleys
- over Azergues Valley to the west.
A scenic walk between the mountain passes of Col du Châtoux and Col du Joncin.
A lovely, easy walk through the woods above Chamelet.
A hike along the balconies in the south of Burgundy through the vineyards.
A hike in Beaujolais through vineyards and forests, starting from Juliénas near Belleville. This hike can be shortened or lengthened (see description).
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.