This circuit lets you discover magnificent panoramic views over the Mediterranean (the Gulf of Saint- Tropez up to the Dramont semaphore) and Mediterranean forests, as well as the remains of the Malavettes forester's house, now abandoned.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
To access the start point, take the interior Saint-Raphaël road in the direction of Agay, which is called the Avenue des Golfs. Continue until the roundabout at the Carrefour des Veissières. Go in the direction of the Domaine du Parc des Veissières. Continue straight on the Avenue J.F.Kennedy to the end, and go to the bottom of the park. Park on the right-hand side in a small car park located just after an EDF transformer approximately 50 meters before the forest barrier. The end of the Avenue J.F. Kennedy ends here at a signposted dead-end.
(D) The walk begins at this forest barrier on a green and white marked trail. When you get to the reservoir, take the descending path straight ahead (ignore the small path climbing up to the right).
(1) A little further on are markers with two large cairns, then a path in front of the H63 fire protection sign "la Cabre". Keep to main track on the right.
(2) When you get to this intersection, take the second trail on the right and ignore the two tracks to the left, including the main track.
(3) After the small bridge, go right, cross the large track and take the path climbing slightly to the left of this one. After approximately 500m, the route takes you across a small stream to continue on the trail.
(4) When you get to the marker "Route des Malavettes" / "Carrefour de Colle Noire", take the left-hand path that leads to the Maison Forestière des Malavettes (an abandoned forester's house). Here, take the first path that descends to the right, and then cross the stream.
(5) The path climbs and on the left there is a magnificent view of the forest against the open sea. This lovely clear place surrounded by eucalyptus will make an ideal snack-stop.
Continue on the path that descends to the left. When you get to a concrete ford, cross the small stream to climb back up the path opposite. Cross another small stream again and then climb up to the Col de l'Essuyadou (altitude 170m)
(6) At the col, you need to turn right on a track located just in front of the tree marked yellow which leads to the Roche Noire intersection (altitude 250m). This small track will now be marked blue and offers a magnificent panoramic view of Saint-Raphaël up to the Gulf of Saint-Tropez. When you reach the blue cross marker, turn left and continue on this marked track up to a junction.
(7) Don't turn left, but go right-left and then continue straight, ignoring the forest barrier on the right.
When you get close to a pretty little pond, the path climbs back up. At the top, you need to turn right when you reach a rusty barrier; this small path takes you around another pond on your left, climbs up and joins the track you took at the start of the walk.
(1) Continue to the right on the joint section used at the beginning and marked green and white. Go back past the reservoir and down to the first barrier which served as the start point.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.92 - alt. km 0.92 - Cairns, keep to main track on the right.
2 : km 1.69 - alt. km 1.69 - Intersection, take the 2nd trail on the right
3 : km 2.26 - alt. km 2.26 - Small bridge#
4 : km 3.96 - alt. km 3.96 - Carrefour de Colle Noire
5 : km 5.29 - alt. km 5.29 - Viewing point over the sea and forests
6 : km 6.79 - alt. km 6.79 - Col de l’Essuyadou
7 : km 9 - alt. km 9 - Intersection, go right-left
D/A : km 11.42 - alt. km 11.42
Walking shoes are required.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3544ET.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Panoramic view of the Gulf of Saint-Tropez in Saint-Raphaël. The old forester's house of Malavette.
This is a magnificent hike through the red rocks of Estérel, looking over the blue of the Mediterranean with extraordinary viewing points.
A stroll in an exceptional place, discovering the gorges of the river Blavet and the cave of Mueron which was inhabited in the Bronze Age.
Ideal in summer and on warmer days, avoid periods of heavy rain.
Easy circular hike leaving from Rague port.
The hike starts by climbing up towards Mont Thurney at the entrance to the Estérel, then going downhill through a dry valley then a forest (eucalyptus and then pine trees) before reaching San Peyre and its 360° orientation table (panoramic view over the Îles de Lérins, Cannes bay and the Mercantour).
Go down through Napoule and then take the coastal path alongside the château until you reach Raguette and Rague beaches.
A very nice short walk that with beautiful views of the bay of Agay and the Esterel massif.
Very beautiful hike close to Agay which enables you to discover the Estérel away from the usual routes.
Beautiful hike in the Esterel Massif where you can discover Sainte Baume and its chapel and the beautiful viewpoint on Cap Roux peak, and then reach Ours Peak going via Aurelle Peak.
Above Agay close to the beaches, the fabulous Massif de l'Esterel is the ideal terrain for a comfortable hike, but is always different.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.