A walk to the coves (calques) of Luminy estate in Marseille with exceptional views
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Luminy University car park in Marseille.
(1) Take the path at the end of the car park with a barrier and follow the blue waymarks. Ignore a path further on to the left.
(2) At the crossing, stay on the path and keep going straight on following the blue waymarks until you reach the following crossing with the wooden signs.
(3). Take the path to the right for 50m and then follow the small path on the left with the red dotted "6b" waymarks.
(4) Walk down the path, following the waymarks. A few metres after a viewpoint with a low wall, take the small marked path to the right indicating the way to Sugiton cove. Continue down to the cove.
(5) Climb back up to the path from the cove and set off to the left towards another cove along a path with red waymarks. Stay on the hilltop following the waymarks until you reach a ladder. Take the ladder and continue following the red waymarks. Follow the path along a short steep passage. Ignore a path off to the right and keep going until you reach Morgiou cove and the port.
(6) Walk through the village of Morgiou on the road, following the red waymarks. As you leave the village, take the path to the right that runs alongside the road, with red waymarks, until you reach a fork on your right.
(7) Follow the yellow "7" waymarks on the right and climb back up to the Col de Sugiton pass along this marked path until you reach another fork.
(8) Take the left-hand path and follow the yellow dotted waymarks to get back up to the path you started out on.
(2) Turn left to get back to the car park (1) along the path you took at the start.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0 - Luminy University car park
1 : km 1.38 - alt. km 1.38 - Crossing with blue waymarks
2 : km 1.77 - alt. km 1.77 - Fork
3 : km 1.89 - alt. km 1.89 - Red dotted route 6B
4 : km 3.23 - alt. km 3.23 - Sugiton cove
5 : km 4.4 - alt. km 4.4 - Morgiou cove
6 : km 5.13 - alt. km 5.13 - Yellow route 7
7 : km 5.75 - alt. km 5.75 - Dotted yellow route 6a
D/A : km 7.5 - alt. km 7.5
You will need walking gear, especially good walking boots and something to drink.
Not appropriate for children.
There are some steep sections.
Actual walking time is about 2.5 hours but allow 5 hours altogether to include time for stops and swimming.
IGN map of the coves (calques) from Marseille to Cassis
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3145ET.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
There is some great swimming in Morgiou cove.
Amidst sea, cliffs and rail roads, a beautiful active hike, emphasized by the horns of small passing trains, and an amazing little beach during the journey!
Experienced on May 1st, 2013, having the first bathe of the year at the Everine's beach!
Hike exploring the sights and features of Cape Canaille.
Circuit following in Marcel Pagnol's footsteps, passing by the Baume du Plantier (Manon’s Cave) then reaching the legendary Garlaban. The return journey passes by the peak of Taoumé and Grosibou Cave and ending with the Vallon de Passe-Temps.
A walk with breathtaking views of four coves (calanques)
Hike from Callelongue taking the GR along the coast.
A walk in a regional park with beautiful trails, varied routes and trees, trees and more trees.
Departure from the park’s car park at the Pichauris Hostel.
A magnificent sea and mountain hike in the Calanques National Park.
Beautiful scenery, a great day out and if you want lunch by the sea, head to Sugiton cove. It’s wonderful.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.