Great easy walk from the center of Nottingham to view the green spaces of Wollaton Park and the University of Nottingham then spot Robin Hood on the way back at Nottingham Castle.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D) Start in Nottingham Old Market Square facing away from the Council House. Walk across the tram line and up Angel Row passing Yates Wine Bar amongst many others. Proceed up Chapel Bar to the roundabout and continue up Derby Road past St Barnabas Catholic Cathedral. After 2km you will reach the The Three Wheatsheaves public house on the right.
(1) Turn right down Radmarsh Road. At the end there is a footpath on the left that leads into the University of Nottingham Jubilee Campus. Walk along the footpath crossing Triumph Road following the path until you reach the lake. Turn left towards the curved building at the end of the lake. Turn right and walk in front of this building then turn left along the footpath and onto the playing fields. Follow the path until you reach a gate and the exit to the campus.
(2) Turn right up Charnock Avenue. At the end cross Middleton Boulevard at the pedestrian lights and turn left and after 40m turn right towards Wollaton Hall and the Golf Course. Go through the large ornate gate into Wollaton Park and proceed up Lime Tree Avenue. Just past the golf course take the tarmac footpath on the left up the hill towards the hall. Proceed in front of the hall and on the far side in the small outbuilding follow the footpath and go down the steps towards the stable block. Refreshments available.
(3) Pass the stable block on the right and proceed down the path to the right towards the lake. Cross the stream and walk down the footpath to the right of the lake. When you reach the arched bridge in the corner of the lake take the footpath on the right along the perimeter wall. Follow the wall around the edge of the park until you reach the large gate that provides an exit from Wollaton Park.
(4) Go through the gate and cross Derby Road at the pedestrian light. Turn right and go about 30m to a concealed footpath on the left. Go down the footpath and into the University of Nottingham Main Campus. Cross the road and take the footpath between the buildings until you reach the round wooden building with the pointed roof. Turn left up the path with the white line and follow to the top of the hill, turn left at the road
(5) Turn right into Library Road and proceed to the end, cross the road turn left and go down the steps on the right to the Portland building. Turn left in front of the building, go up the steps at the end and turn right down the road. Cross the road at the end and proceed down the hill towards the lake. Pass the lake on your right and take the path on the right of the crazy golf course towards the gate
(6) Turn left after the gate and head towards the traffic lights. Cross the road and head into the Science Park but after 20m turn left on the footpath next to Tootle Brook. Follow the footpath to the end and cross Lace Street and then turn left down Montpelier Road. Take the first right into Marlborough Street and go the end.
(7) Turn left and take the footpath next to the school. Turn right down the underpass and at the end turn left towards Abbey Street. Turn right down Abbey Street, cross the River Leen and turn right down Priory Street just past the pedestrian lights. Turn left down footpath and at the end of the road turn right and follow the tram tracks past the station until you cross Nottingham Canal.
(8) Take the canal footpath and turn back under the bridge towards the city. Follow the towpath for 1.1 km until you reach a footbridge crossing the canal.
(9) Cross the canal and turn right when you reach Castle Boulevard. At the first pedestrian lights cross the road and go straight through the gate into the Park Estate. Turn right up Hope Drive and at the end turn left up Peveril Drive. Take the first right up Ogle Drive and then right on Lenton Road again up the hill towards Nottingham Castle. Pass the castle on the right and continue straight down Friar Lane crossing Maid Marian Way back to the square.
(A) Back at Slab Square.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0 - Old Market Square
1 : km 2.33 - alt. km 2.33 - The Three Wheatsheaves
2 : km 3.47 - alt. km 3.47 - Charnock Avenue
3 : km 5.29 - alt. km 5.29 - Wollaton Hall Stable Block
4 : km 7.15 - alt. km 7.15 - Wollaton Hall Derby Road Exit
5 : km 7.94 - alt. km 7.94 - Library Road
6 : km 8.73 - alt. km 8.73 - Highfields Park Exit
7 : km 9.56 - alt. km 9.56 - End of Marlborough Street
8 : km 10.5 - alt. km 10.5 - Nottingham Canal
9 : km 11.74 - alt. km 11.74 - Nottingham Canal Footbridge
D/A : km 13 - alt. km 13 - Slab Square
Many cafe's and watering holes along the way.
Cafe at Wollaton Hall Stable Block
Cafe at Lakeside Theatre
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Nottingham Old Market Square and the Council House
St Barnabas Catholic Church
University of Nottingham Jubilee Campus
Wollaton Hall and Park
University of Nottingham Main Campus
The Victorian suburb of the Park Estate
Nottingham Castle and Museum
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.