A circular walk from a small parking area on the road named Fure (Marked Fure on Swiss map 3324T) which is above Ried-Morel. It takes a higher path above the Massaweg towards Stausee Gibidum, climbs to the Villa Cassel and then the top of the Riederhorn. The descent is through the forest. A pleasant and interesting excursion.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
It is not possible to drive up to Riederalp, you must walk up or take a cable car. You could hike up the Riederhorn from Riederalp but that would miss out the wonderful Aletschwald forest.
This walk starts from a small parking place at Fure, which is above Ried-Morel. There is a water trough and a pair of silver sprayed walking boots hanging from the yellow trail sign.
.(D) Form the parking, you will see a water trough and a yellow sign with a pair of silver walking boots hanging from it. Take the path uphill to Tal and Riederalp. The path passes beside a traditional barn and through a pasture to arrive at the road and group of houses called Tal.
(1) Take the track on the right slanting away from the road and following a tree line to a small group of houses. The path goes to the right of the building on the right and then ascends into light woodland. Keep on going, the path will bring you out of the trees with views over Brig before turning into the Massa valley. This section is above the Massaweg walk; it is narrow in a couple of places and traverses above some steep cliffs. It is well marked with paint flashes.
(2) You will come to a yellow signpost and a path heading down on your left, that goes to the dam. Keep straight on and walk uphill through woodland and some pasture always heading for Riederalp.
(3) You will come to a junction of paths and more signposts just before Hotel Riederfurka, turn right go uphill a short way and take the path in front of the restaurant.
(4) Take time to explore Villa Cassel and find out about the flora and fauna in this unique and protected nature reserve. From the road, take the path to Riederhorn. Walk under the teleski cable, and take the right-hand path where it splits to go uphill and then more steeply up to the top of the Riederhorn.
(5) Good views can be had here and it's a good place to eat your sandwiches. Walk along the summit ridge in a southerly direction before dropping down to the junction with a path.
(6) Turn left and follow the well-marked path back northwards towards Riederalp. At the junction with another path, keep right and downhill to pass beneath the teleski cables again but lower down than last time. Take the path over some pasture to some buildings and a better track.
(7) Turn right and take the track towards Riederalp. As you enter the top of the resort the road will curve around a bend in front of you. Take this or walk down the steps next to Berghaus Toni. Walk straight through the resort to the cable car station.
(8) Opposite the supermarket there is a road which curves around and down, going behind the cable car station. Take this and then walk down over pasture heading for the right had the side of 3 houses. The path crosses a fence to the right of most houses and brings you out on a road.
(9) Turn right and follow the road/track around the hillside and into woodland. The right track descends through woodland and crosses another forest track before joining a second track.
(10) Turn right and walk down the second track until a point where it turns back on itself. Continue down through the woods until the track rejoins the forest track and then emerges onto the well made road (gate)
(11) Take the well maintained road down the hill with detached properties, mainly on the left to a junction at a bend.
(12) Turn right at the junction and walk back to your car.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0 - Small parking place at Fure
1 : km 0.32 - alt. km 0.32
2 : km 3.68 - alt. km 3.68
3 : km 5.06 - alt. km 5.06 - Hotel Riederfurka
4 : km 5.26 - alt. km 5.26 - Villa Cassel
5 : km 6.07 - alt. km 6.07 - Riederhorn - Point of view
6 : km 6.96 - alt. km 6.96
7 : km 8.51 - alt. km 8.51
8 : km 8.98 - alt. km 8.98
9 : km 9.22 - alt. km 9.22
10 : km 10.49 - alt. km 10.49
11 : km 11.36 - alt. km 11.36
12 : km 12.39 - alt. km 12.39
D/A : km 12.73 - alt. km 12.73 - Small parking place at Fure
There is only limited parking for 3 or 4 cars at the start but it is a quiet area; the properties are private so please do not park on any private land or obstruct the entrances to any fields or pasture. In the summer the farmers are often out cutting grass for the winter.
The first part of this walk is graded as T2 – Mountain Hikes
"Paths with a continuous marked-out route. It is marked according to SAW standards: white-red-white. Sometimes steep, the danger of falling possible. Requirements: Sure footedness sometimes needed. Trekking shoes are recommended. Basic orientation skills"
There are refreshments at Riederfurka, the Villa Cassel and in Riederalp.
Villa Cassel has information about the nature reserve and the local flora and fauna. https://www.myswitzerland.com/en/experie...
Walking through the forest we have seen both inquisitive Pine Martins and shy Chamois. If walk through making a noise you will see little but take your time, walk quietly and keep your eyes open.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Although higher than the Massaweg the first part of the walk also has some remains of wooden irrigation troughs.
Take time out at the Villa Cassel to learn about the nature reserve.
Enjoy the views from the top of the Riederhorn, on a clear day you will see the Matterhorn among the other 4000m peaks of the Pennine Alps.
Beautiful mountain stage going through a pass by the name of Augstbordpass.
A new balcony stage at the foot of high summits separating the Zermatt and Saas Fee valleys.
So here's the last stage of this itinarary and what a stage! A delightful climb reaching Hannigalp to find the well-known balcony trail overlooking the valley leading to Saas Fee.
An out and back walk to the summit of the Bettmerhorn starting at Ried-Morel (or alternatively, Riederalp, Bettmeralp or Morel)
A Circular walk from Ried Morel (alternatively Morel or Riederalp) taking in an easy descent through woodland to glaciated rock scenery and the hanging bridge over the Massa which is the water flowing from the Aletsch Glacier. Then crossing peaceful alpine pastures to make the ascent up the steps to Hotel Belalp before dropping again on paths and roads to the dam at the end of Stausee Gibidum. The final section follows the scenic Massweg trail back to Reid Morel.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.