This trail is another way of getting to the Petit Tuny hut. On this trail, you stay off the DFCI tracks as much as possible, by taking non-waymarked paths instead. At the highest point of the route, you will have a wonderful view over Garlaban, the Huveaune Valley and Bertagne Peak.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
This route is a circular loop, starting from the priory in the village of Satin-Jean-de-Garguier.
(D/A) From the car park, take the road opposite you in the direction of the St Clair housing estate. Follow the road which goes alongside a vineyard on the right. Ignore the road which quickly appears on the right (this will be your return route), and instead take a small path at the end of the vineyard, at the bottom of the hill. Continue on this path towards the north for about 400m, overlooking two houses.
(1) Turn right and enter into the property of the 'General Council' of the old Château de Saint-Jean. At the end of the property, turn right along the Valley des Seignors. Stay on this path for about two kilometres until you reach a crossroads where you will see an electricity line.
(2) At this point, head downhill to the left for about 300m until you reach another crossroads. Make sure you don't miss the start of the path which is not very obvious!
(3) Climb quite steeply to the left and, after several zigzags, you will come to a crossroads.
This is the steepest part of the hike, but at the summit you will be rewarded by the 360° panoramic view!
(4) Head to the right to finish the climb. You will arrive at a high-voltage electricity pylon.
(5) Next, go downhill via the high-voltage electricity line access path by staying on the line of the ridge. When the path branches off to the south and begins to climb again, leave the path and head to the left. Finish the climb, go back down again and then just before the descent comes to an end, (6) take another path (again not very visible), which allows you to stay on the ridge until you reach the track (cistern).
(7) From there, go downhill on the path on the right. Ignore the path on the right further on and continue onwards, making a wide curve which leads you to the Petit Tuny hut where you can have lunch in the sun.
(8) Continue on the path on the left from the cistern and go through the Saint-Clair valley which ends up on a road.
(9) Go downhill to the left, ignore two roads on the left and take the one on the right which goes to the priory. Turn left to return to the car park (D/A).
A lovely walk.
D/A : km 0 - alt. 172m
1 : km 0.63 - alt. 198m - Turn right into the General Council property
2 : km 3.65 - alt. 470m - Go downhill to the left through the valley.
3 : km 3.91 - alt. 493m - Be careful as the path isn't very visible.
4 : km 4.64 - alt. 625m - Highest point 360° view of Garlaban, Bertagne Peak
5 : km 5.23 - alt. 688m - Take a non-waymarked path.
6 : km 6.62 - alt. 636m - Turn right.
7 : km 7.3 - alt. 649m - Phew! You re-join the path.
8 : km 9.34 - alt. 556m - Tuny hut.
9 : km 12.46 - alt. 235m - Turn left onto the road.
D/A : km 13.14 - alt. 172m
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.
Registered since 15/03/16
Status : Hiker
Claude13720 is a hike club/association.
C.S.B Section Sport et Loisirs
Chelin de ceinture 13720 LA BOUILLADISSE