A loop that takes you to the hamlet of Seguins along the ridges of the Grand Luberon through Sivergues and Chastelas.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Access: Parking 1.5km to the south of the village of Buoux. Just after the summer camp (disused), cross the bridge of Aigue Brun, continue on a bit, and park in the car park indicated as the last car park.
(D) Continue along the road, which then slowly transforms into a wide track, going past Seguins inn on your left. Take the little path to the left at the first crossing, and then left again.
(1) Just before the little bridge turn right and follow the stream for 1,510 m ignoring all the paths leading off to the left or right.
(2) At the fork, turn right, keep right at the next intersection and go to the town of Sivergues. Take the small road opposite that runs through the village and leads to a road.
(3) Turn right and follow the road that gives way to a big road and climbs to the Castelas farmhouse (680 m).
(4) Then leave the large path for a smaller one ahead, which becomes trail after crossing a stream. This trail climbs to the "Route des Crêtes" to the ridges of the Grand Luberon.
(5) Take this road to the right for 1.2 km.
(6) Turn off the road onto the path on the right (GR9) and head down for 1.2 km always staying right until you reach a fork.
(7) At the fork, continue down the path to the left until the next bridle.
(8) There are 2 alternatives:
a) Turn right continuing on the GR9 which will take you down directly to Seguins.
b) Turn left and go down to "La Montagne" flats (as shown in the diagram). Pass the farm keeping it on the right.
(9) At the fork on the flats, follow the left path down for 700 m until another fork.
(10) Turn right and continue down this right path until you reach a big path.
(11) Turn right and go back down that wide path (the GRP for Tour des Claparèdes) to Buoux Fort, the 13th century citadel perched on a rocky outcrop. Continue down the same path to Moulin Clos. At the crossing, take the road on the right to reach the starting point 300m further on.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.63 - alt. km 0.63 - Stream, walk alongside it and turn right
2 : km 2.07 - alt. km 2.07 - Fork, turn right
3 : km 2.98 - alt. km 2.98 - Sivregues, beginning of the road to Le Castelas
4 : km 4.23 - alt. km 4.23 - Le Castelas, take the path ahead
5 : km 5.71 - alt. km 5.71 - Route des Crêtes du Luberon, turn right
6 : km 6.87 - alt. km 6.87 - Fork for return path
7 : km 8 - alt. km 8 - Fork, take the left
8 : km 8.28 - alt. km 8.28 - 2 options; this is option b)
9 : km 8.56 - alt. km 8.56 - Fork, take the route to the left
10 : km 9.24 - alt. km 9.24 - Fork, keep right
11 : km 10.21 - alt. km 10.21 - Wide path back, turn right
D/A : km 11.87 - alt. km 11.87 - Car park
You can top up your water supply at Sivergues, Castelas and depending on the goodwill of the owners, at the La Montagne flats.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3243OT.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
(5) Turning left, after 6.5 km the road leads you to Mourre Nègre (1125 m), the highest peak in the Luberon.
Things to see: Sivergues, very old village in Provence that inspired H. Bosco.
The Castelas: medieval castle and its 12th century church, today it is a horse farm and cottage.
Number of opinions : 17
Description quality : 3.24/4
Routemap quality : 3.47/4
Walk interest : 3.53/4
Global average : 3.41/4
Thank you for your comment.
Date of walk : 30/10/16
Description quality : Very good
Routemap quality : Very good
Walk interest : Very good
Nice track with relatively easy step up. On the descent might be slippery when wet or rainy weather. Beautiful landscape.
A beautiful loop around the Calavon Gorges from the village of Oppedette.
The route leads up the Véroncle canyon then down the south-facing slopes of the Monts de Vaucluse.
Walk up Vaumale valley along a beautiful trail equipped with climbing aids and then come back down the wilder and less rocky Lioux valley.
Circuit around Lioux returning through the Madeleine cliffs, with fine views of the Vaucluse ranges.
A colourful visit to a place known as the Colorado of Provence.
Circuit around the Aigue Brun to see the different aspects of this valley nestled at the foot of the Luberon.
The walk starts near Gordes (listed as one of the most beautiful villages in France) and passes through the Véroncle gorge to Murs and its castle.
A very pleasant, energetic walk in the ravine of the Véroncle gorges, discovering the remains of old mills from different periods along the way.
There are a few ladders and ropes, and an old sluice shaft that cannot be avoided.
Loop around Gordes and its dry stone dwellings, through the valley of Sénancole and its unique Sénanque Abbey.
Lovely hike without much difficulty. After climbing uphill for just under a kilometre, just enough time to reach an altitude of 700 m, where the the panoramic view of Lubéron with its lowlands and further below the valley behind Murs, opens up to you. Just for your enjoyment, this view will last for more than 4 km. The majority of the circular hike is through forest paths.
On the southern slope of Le Petit Luberon, this trail is for experienced hikers due to two steep rises and randomly waymarked trails.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.