A pleasant 6 miles walk from Fotherby towards North Elkington, passing through a Deserted Medieval Village, with fine views of the eastern edge of the Wolds, across the marsh towards the coastline and round to the Humber.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D) Face the Interpretation Board and turn left. After walking 200 metres turn right along Short Lane and carefully cross the A16 bypass. Continue along to the lane junction and turn right, following the road up to Fotherby Common.
(1) Continue along the farm track to the footpath sign on the left. Bear left onto the footpath, which is normally marked on the ground, and aim for the tall tree where hedgerows merge in the valley bottom. Cross the footbridge and turn right along a grass track, past some woods and skirting round an old pond to a stile on your left.
(2) Climb the stile into the open grassy valley and bear left uphill passing some of the terraced fields of the earthworks. Aim for the top left corner of the field. Climb a double stile and follow the wire fence to the corner. Now bear diagonally left, through the deserted medieval village, to a kissing gate to the left of the first house.
(3) Go left along the track to a bridle gate on the right and from it descend to the valley floor, along one of the former village streets. At the bottom turn left and cross the arable field in line with the electricity poles, aiming for the gap in the hedge. Turn right along the road. After 275 meters turn right onto the access road to Grange Farm. Walk through the farmyard and turn right at the end along a short track, passing a white cottage.
(4) At the end go through a metal gate and turn left beside a hedge. (There are great views here looking back across the valley to North Elkington). At the field, corner go through a second gate and bear left along a grass track for about 90 meters. At a waymark turn right along a field headland with a hedge on your left to reach a 3-way fingerpost. Keep ahead now, gradually curving to the right as you pass around Fotherby Top Farm, through the farmyard and onto the access track. It will rejoin the outward route at Fotherby Common from where you can retrace your steps back to Fotherby Village.(D/A)
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0 - Interpretation Board
1 : km 1.58 - alt. km 1.58
2 : km 2.56 - alt. km 2.56 - Deserted Medieval Village
3 : km 3.66 - alt. km 3.66 - Bridlegate
4 : km 5.09 - alt. km 5.09 - Great views
D/A : km 8.94 - alt. km 8.94 - Fotherby village
Maps: OS Landranger 113 and OS Explorer 282
Parking: Roadside parking in the village - please park considerately. Map Ref: TF 315 915 Postcode LN11 0UG
Terrain: A mixture of footpaths over grass and arable fields and stone tracks. Some roadside walking crossing Fotherby bypass.
Refreshments: Limited light refreshments at St Mary's Church - usually open Wednesday during the summer months. Brackenborough Arms Hotel is nearby.
Stiles: A few.
The Lincolnshire Wolds is a nationally important and cherished landscape. Most of it was designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) in 1973. Covering an area of 558 square kilometres or 216 square miles, the AONB contains the highest ground in eastern England between Yorkshire and Kent, rising to over 150m along its western edge. Rolling chalk hills and areas of sandstone and clay underlie this attractive landscape.
The Lincolnshire Wolds has been inhabited since prehistoric times and the appearance of the countryside today has been greatly influenced by past and present agricultural practices.
A Countryside Service helps to protect and enhance the landscape through partnership projects with local landowners, farmers, parish councils, businesses and residents of the Wolds.
Office Address :
Lincolnshire Wolds Countryside Service
Lincs LN11 0DA
Phone: 01522 555780 Twitter: @LincsWoldsAONB
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Almshouses - Everitt Allenby, Esq., born at Fotherby Manor in 1794 kindly provided funds for the six almshouses to be built in 1866 for the benefit of the village poor. Constructed by James Fowler of Louth, the red brick, slate roof and decorative ridge tiles form a distinctive feature within the centre of the village. Grade II listed in February 1986.
St Mary's Church Fotherby - Completely rebuilt by James Fowler of Louth in 1863, some aspects of the original building are retained, such as the font which dates from 1450 and the spire contains three bells cast in 1608. St Mary's is the hub of the village, with meetings and pop-in coffee and cake sessions held weekly - the interior is unusual in that the pews can be moved around for larger social events. Grade II listed in 1967.
Deserted Medieval Village, North Elkington - The earliest record of a settlement dates from 1086 and continued until the 16th century. There are three distinctive sites - all show remnants of hollow ways, enclosures of farmsteads and buildings. Medieval cropping systems can be seen in the ridge and furrow lynchets.
A delightful 6 miles walk from Fotherby taking in Utterby, passing Packhorse Bridge and St Andrew's church before joining the disused railway line. There are fine views of the eastern edge of the Wolds, across the marsh towards the coastline and round to the Humber.
Hubbard's Hills was donated to the town of Louth by the trustees of Auguste Alphonse Pahud, and opened to the public on 1 August 1907.
Enjoy the peace and tranquillity of a 8.5 miles walk exploring the Louth Canal and nearby village of North Cockerington. Keep a watch for the darting blue of the kingfisher or the antics of the moorhens as they squabble amongst themselves.
Enjoy the peace and tranquillity of a 6 miles walk exploring the Louth Canal and nearby village of Alvingham, with two churches in one churchyard. Keep a watch for the darting blue of the kingfisher or the antics of the moorhens as they squabble amongst themselves.
This is a delightful 5.5 miles walk taking you high into the Wolds. There are fine views to the coast and back to Louth with St James's Church spire visible for miles. Walking along tracks and paths, this really does give a flavour of hilly Lincolnshire.
This is an enjoyable, circular walk of 6.5 miles from Louth to Tathwell and Raithby. The route crosses fields and follows grass tracks to explore these small hamlets. Great views towards Stenigot Mast and beyond can be seen on a clear day.
A 7.5 miles walk taking in the high points above Hubbard’s Hills before dropping down into the secluded Welton le Wold valley. Explore the historic church and parkland at South Elkington before journeying back to Louth.
The 14 miles Round Louth Walk circles the historic market town, journeying into the surrounding countryside of the Wolds and Marsh. The route is waymarked by a blue spire walk logo.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.