A peaceful countryside walk, ideal for relaxation.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park in the Saint-Michel de Frigolet Abbey car park.
(S) Head due west and head onto the trail. A sign points in the direction of Boulbon.
(1) Go straight at this junction. In the third branching of the roads, turn on the path on the left and continue straight at each intersection cut across a track twice.
(2) At the next crossroads of paths, go straight. Roughly 150 m away, turn right to get to the summit of La Montagnette (alt. 168 m) a few dozen metres on. Retrace your steps, turn right and follow the marked path that passes through the valleys and ridges. Cross a path and pass by a wide path on the left.
(3) Arrive in a water reservoir, take the level path on the right for 100 metres.
(4) At the junction, follow the trail on the right uphill along the hillside. Keep to the main path ignoring all paths to the right and left.
(5) Walk along the path that is marked in Yellow; the markings can be faded or a little inconspicuous at times. We see a power plant with red and white chimneys.
(6) At the junction, follow the path that turns right and pass by another path that goes straight towards Moulin Bonnet. A little further on you will see the mill on the ridge to the left. Continue to the cemetery of Boulbon.
(7) Pass the cemetery and turn left.
(8) Then cross Boulbon southbound successively following Rue de la Clastre, Rue de l’Hôtel de Ville and Rue Font de Bernard for about 40 m to the right. Continue on the left onto Rue de l’Église, which extends into Rue du Barri. Turn right onto Rue de Meteline which then becomes Chemin du Breuil.
(9) Walk along the Saint-Christol allotments, Avenue Charles de Gaulle. Pass the treatment plant on your left, turn slightly to the left.
(10) After about 400 metres take a forest road to the left that climbs gently. After a few hundred metres, the path follows a fence with signs for "élevage de taureaux”.
(11) 150 metres before the D35 road, head off at an acute angle on the left along the forest path (Chemin du Pas de Bouquet).
(12) At the crossroads near a water tank, up to the right is the rise up Mas de Monge and on the left Chemin Forestier de San Salvador. Take this path to the left. Cross the valleys covered in fairly sparse and lush pine forests in spring and ignore all paths leading off to the left and right.
(13) At the firefighting water tank identified as "citerne N° 123 San Salvador”, take the right path that descends slowly zigzagging. Pass multiple paths on the right. At the last fork, turn left to reach a T-junction a few metres away.
(14) Turn right and continue on this path marked in yellow.
(15). At the next T-junction, marked "MO 107" and “MO 108", turn right. Following the well-marked path you will reach the route from the start.
(2) Take the right fork. At the second junction with a path, turn left and continue straight to quickly reach the Saint-Michel Frigolet Abbey car park (F).
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.11 - alt. km 0.11 - Crossroads, go straight ahead
2 : km 0.95 - alt. km 0.95 - Crossroads, continue straight ahead.
3 : km 1.98 - alt. km 1.98 - Water point at La Luzerne, take the path on the ri
4 : km 2.1 - alt. km 2.1 - Crossroads, turn right uphill
5 : km 3.95 - alt. km 3.95 - Yellow markers from time to time
6 : km 4.67 - alt. km 4.67 - Junction, turn right at an acute angle
7 : km 5.53 - alt. km 5.53 - Boulbon cemetery
8 : km 5.7 - alt. km 5.7 - Boulbon, Rue de la Clastre
9 : km 6.71 - alt. km 6.71 - Allotments to your left
10 : km 7.81 - alt. km 7.81 - Leave the road and take path
11 : km 8.54 - alt. km 8.54 - Take the forest road to the left
12 : km 10.41 - alt. km 10.41 - Turn left, Chemin Forestier de San Salvador
13 : km 12.51 - alt. km 12.51 - Water tank, take the right path
14 : km 14.53 - alt. km 14.53 - Crossroads, turn right on Yellow-marked path
15 : km 14.93 - alt. km 14.93 - MO 107 MO 108, turn right
D/A : km 16.66 - alt. km 16.66
There is a more direct way to get to Boulbon at the crossing (4) (walk time indicated at the abbey: 50 minutes).
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3042OT.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The Saint-Michel de Frigolet Abbey is a calm and natural place. It is quiet out of season. The abbey can be visited (check prior to visiting as the hours are quite limited).
Nice walk between the wild and steep ridge of the Alpilles and the plains of Romanin.
At the heart of the Alpilles Regional Nature Reserve, a small easy hike on good paths. The route takes you to the picturesque Rock with Two Holes painted by Van Gogh during his stay in Saint-Paul de Mausole from May 1889 to May 1890. It offers vast panoramic views over the two slopes of the Alpilles. To the south, in clear weather the view stretches to the Mediterranean, to the north over the Montagnette, the Gard, the Mont Ventoux, etc.
Starting from the site of the Antiques de Glanum, a beautiful climb in the valley of Saint Clerg, which serves as a botanical trail, up to the ridges and back down to Lake Peiroou or Peirou, on the IGN map.
N.B.!: the short technical part with cables and some metal steps fixed into the rock that allows you to cross the rock above Lake Peiroou has been temporarily closed for safety reasons.
Starting from Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, a beautiful walk along large, clearly-marked, shady trails. Beautiful viewpoints over the Alpilles, the village and the château des Baux-de-Provence.
The fragrant plants of the South and also pines and even cedars.
A walk in the Alpilles on good paths, mostly through forest. This circuit goes through several gaudres (small valleys that channel rain-water): La Pistolle, Valmouriane, Bovis and Marchandon. You can also see one of the waterfalls of the Canal des Alpines.
In Aramon, a village along the Rhone near Avignon, the capitelles trail takes you around a couple of these shelters created by the shepherds and farmers.
A short hike around Baux-de-Provence, mostly on good trails. There is a short climb down a well-maintained rocky path. 360° views at the viewpoint (or what remains of it). The Baux cover "every angle" with many panoramic views. Return via the village with the option to pay it a visit.
A walk in the hills of La Montagnette, setting out from Saint Michel de Frigolet abbey.
A hike in the Alpilles along good paths. A varied landscape ranging from pine forest to Mediterranean scrubland with fine views over the hills and valleys.
A circuit on the north slope of the Alpilles on good tracks nice, overlooking cross-shaded valleys and ridges that offer views on all sides of the Alpilles. The view goes far beyond this. The tour starts with a track which “keeps its cards close to its chest”. Apart from the return by the GR 6, you will meet few if any other people on this route that is far off the beaten track.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.