Very beautiful hike close to Agay which enables you to discover the Estérel away from the usual routes.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Start at the Belle Barbe Pass.
(D/A) Take the GR trail (Red and White waymarking) above the Grenouillet valley.
Continue on to ford.
(1) Take the path on your right and then stay horizontal to (or almost going up) the Ravin des Lentisques until you reach the road.
(2) Cross the road and take the path opposite which climbs to the 'Baisse des Sangliers', going along the road. At the 'Baisse', stay on right-hand side of the road for a few hundred metres up to the Lentisques Pass (picnic tables).
(3) Take the path on your right in the direction of 'Dent de l'Ours' (the 'Bear's tooth') via the Uzel Cave (4). You shouldn't encounter any difficulties here. Carry on until you each the 'Dent de l'Ours'.
(5) Continue to your right in the direction of 'Pic de l'Ours' ('Bear's Peak') which you then go around. When you arrive at the road, take the path opposite you which goes downhill in the direction of the Notre Dame Pass, three hours after departing.
(6) From the pass, go down towards Lake Écureuil (via the GR51) which you will reach in about 45 minutes. The lake has been empty for years.
(7) Go around it on the right-hand side and go along its banks up to the next ford. Then head back into the Vallon (valley) du mal Infernet. At the crossing point, stay on the path (on your right you will see a variation of this path which will take you back to our departure point via the Aubert Pass) and continue up to the ford (1), then return on the ame path as the outward journey without any difficulty back to the car park at Belle Barbe Pass (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 1.16 - alt. km 1.16 - Ford
2 : km 4.38 - alt. km 4.38 - Road
3 : km 5.38 - alt. km 5.38 - Lentisques Pass
4 : km 6.93 - alt. km 6.93 - Uzel Cave
5 : km 8.33 - alt. km 8.33 - Dent de l'Ours
6 : km 10.06 - alt. km 10.06 - Notre Dame Pass
7 : km 13.24 - alt. km 13.24 - Lake Ecureuil
D/A : km 16.99 - alt. km 16.99
There is no drinking water point in the Estérel massif. Avoid the summer and high temperatures when undertaking this hike.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3643ET.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Uzel Caves on the left after the Lentisques Pass - the Pic de l'Ours with a view over the îles de Lerins, after Lake Ecureuil, the very beautiful Vallon du Mal Infernet.
This is a magnificent hike through the red rocks of Estérel, looking over the blue of the Mediterranean with extraordinary viewing points.
This circuit lets you discover magnificent panoramic views over the Mediterranean (the Gulf of Saint- Tropez up to the Dramont semaphore) and Mediterranean forests, as well as the remains of the Malavettes forester's house, now abandoned.
Easy circular hike leaving from Rague port.
The hike starts by climbing up towards Mont Thurney at the entrance to the Estérel, then going downhill through a dry valley then a forest (eucalyptus and then pine trees) before reaching San Peyre and its 360° orientation table (panoramic view over the Îles de Lérins, Cannes bay and the Mercantour).
Go down through Napoule and then take the coastal path alongside the château until you reach Raguette and Rague beaches.
A very nice short walk that with beautiful views of the bay of Agay and the Esterel massif.
Beautiful hike in the Esterel Massif where you can discover Sainte Baume and its chapel and the beautiful viewpoint on Cap Roux peak, and then reach Ours Peak going via Aurelle Peak.
Above Agay close to the beaches, the fabulous Massif de l'Esterel is the ideal terrain for a comfortable hike, but is always different.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.