Over the Rhone balconies between grape vines and apricot trees, with pretty little streams.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park in the centre of the village of Gervans in the square in front of the town hall.
(D/A) Follow Rue de Ruisseau in a north-east direction.
(1) The tarmacked road turns into a path once past the last of the buildings. Follow it upstream on the right-hand bank of the stream and then the left bank. Go under an electricity line.
(2) When the path becomes flatter and you find yourself in front of two paths, take the path climbing up to the right. After several successive bends, you will reach a crossroads of streets after you've passed under another electricity line.
(3) Take the road on the right which goes nearly in a straight line. Go past the Méjan houses situated on the right. A bit further on, you will reach an agricultural hangar on the left. Ignore the road on the right and continue straight on. The road curves to the left and then curves to the right.
(4) Leave the road and follow the path in the far left of the bend, going gently downhill. This well-waymarked path goes through forest and then grape vines.
(5) Continue on the cleared path heading straight on (not shown on the IGN map), and then curving towards the left to reach the 'Creux du Renard'. Ignore a path climbing to the left and instead follow the path going downhill to meet the stream. You need to cross over the ford twice (relatively easy) and go below the quarry buildings situated on the right.
(6) Follow Chemin du Kaolin, which turns into a road, until you reach a road going across it and climbing to the right.
(7) Turn right onto this road which then bends to the left until you reach a crossroads on a section higher up. Turn left and follow the road which goes downhill gently towards les Sautons. Go through the hamlet and follow the flat path, ignoring the path going down to the left.
(8) At a crossroads of electricity lines, go through the vines and then alongside them on the right on the edge of a forest. Go downhill towards the left between the vines on the left and a meadow on the right until you each the D163 road. Branch off to the right (take care) until you meet a crossroads 100m further on.
(9) Turn left towards the village of Crozes-Hermitage and go through it, going alongside the stream lower down on the left. Veer to the right in order to go in front of the church and go alongside a car park on the right. Take the road on the right and, at the bottom of the road, take the steps on the left to reach Rue du Balcon.
(10) Turn right onto the road which is flat at first, but then begins to climb to the left and ignore the road going downhill to the right.
(11) A little after the place called 'les Lavoirs', the road turns into a clear path which you can follow easily around the successive bends. In a sharp bend to the right, ignore the path heading off on the left. After having gone around some grape vines via the right and a sharp bend, the path turns into a road. Go between the buildings and the houses on the left and right, until you reach a crossroads.
(12) Turn left, almost at a 90° angle. After the successive bends, you will reach a crossroads. Turn left again at a 90° angle to follow Chemin Belvédère des Méjans. At the end of the road, you will reach a large grassed area. Next, take the small path going down between the oak trees. This path is quite short and goes downhill very steeply to meet and cross over the Voussères stream.
(13) Climb up through the grape vines, heading to the right, and then the left in order to reach a waymarker and information sign. Follow along the edge of the vines back to the left until you reach a path going downhill which you need to follow to the right. When you are nearing the village of Gervans, find Rue du Ruisseau and turn left onto it in order to return to the departure point (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0 - Rhône (le)
1 : km 0.34 - alt. km 0.34 - Path along the stream
2 : km 1.25 - alt. km 1.25 - Path climbing up to the right
3 : km 2.87 - alt. km 2.87 - Crossroads of the Méjeans road
4 : km 4.38 - alt. km 4.38 - Path to the left
5 : km 5.11 - alt. km 5.11 - Crossroads of the vines paths
6 : km 6.02 - alt. km 6.02 - Chemin du Kaolin
7 : km 6.34 - alt. km 6.34 - Larnage crossroads
8 : km 7.01 - alt. km 7.01 - Crossroads of electricity wires
9 : km 7.84 - alt. km 7.84 - Turn left towards Crozes-Hermitage
10 : km 8.38 - alt. km 8.38 - The Crozes steps
11 : km 8.81 - alt. km 8.81 - Path with successive bends
12 : km 10.47 - alt. km 10.47 - Buclas crossroads
13 : km 11.77 - alt. km 11.77 - Voussères steam
D/A : km 12.95 - alt. km 12.95
Standard hiking equipment.
Two crossings over a ford near Larnage and Creux du Renard: there are stones positioned to cross over on, but a foot bath might be required if there has been heavy rainfall!
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3035SB.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The climb up following the Pévin stream.
The Creux du Renard and the feldspar quarry at Larnage.
The village of Larnage.
The village of Crozes-Hermitage, well-known for its wine.
Belvédère des Méjans.
Viewpoints over the Rhone valley.
A nice family-friendly walk in the forest which starts from Duzon bridge leading to a galaxy of stones at the Cuves de Duzon, a geological curiosity. The river has effectively bored out several “cauldrons" and flows through a narrow crevice that the path follows.
A lovely hike offering beautiful views of the Rhône Valley, the Alps and the Ardèche. A 15-minute drive from Valence, this hike leads you around the beautiful surroundings of this small village. Note that Saint-Romain-de-Lerps is one of the classic walks in the area, because there is a beautiful lookout point with a chapel, 2 orientation tables and a picnic area alongside.
Hike near the Rhône, to the north of Ardèche. You will be surprised to find areas that are this "wild" so close to the Rhône Valley (Ardennes). At the end, the view of the Rhône and the Arras tower is a definite plus.
A ride on the peaks of the Massif de Crussol, 20 minutes from Valencia via the castle.
Another original way to get to this beautiful viewpoint that is the Saint-Sabin chapel on a small bluff in the heart of the Pilat Park, pouring into the Rhône Valley, with some of the best views of the Alps and pre-Alps (especially across the south). At the chapel, many signs and indications tell the story of the place and its flora.
Climb and ramble along the ridges above Annonay. Beautiful view of the Alps and Pilat.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.