You'll be amazed by the well-preserved state of the Visigoths' tombs found along the way. You can explore the cemetery, made up of fifteen or so graves, at the corner of a path in the middle of shrub land.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(S/F) Heading out of Villarzel Village towards Villeneuve-Minervois, take a right onto Chemin de la Bergerie which leads to the D35.
(1) Take the D35 on the left over 200 m. Continue on the path which heads off to the left (signpost) and keep going towards Château de Villarlong.
(2) At the fork, after passing the château entrance, go to the right of the chapel, then after 80 m, let the path curve to the left and go right towards Clarisse church ruins (a must see). Backtrack until you get to the larger path and continue on your right. After about 200 m regain the waymarked trail on the right. Get to Grand-Combe stream and turn left. At the junction roughly 500 m further, steer right and keep going for a good one hundred metres.
(3) Leave the large path and take the trail that heads off to your right (signpost) leading to the cemetery.
(4) After a short stop in the cemetery containing Visigoths' tombs, ignore a trail heading off to the left and keep heading north on the path reaching a crossroads (high point 223). Head left, due south-west. Go left at the first junction then right at the following four leading to the D335.
(5) Take the D335 to the left over roughly 220 m.
(6) Next take the carriage road on the right which extends to Rue de la Fontaine at Villarzel-Cabardès village entrance.
(7) Turn left onto Rue des Colombes then left again reaching your starting point
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.54 - alt. km 0.54 - The D35 junction
2 : km 1.41 - alt. km 1.41 - To the right of the chapel
3 : km 3.69 - alt. km 3.69 - At the signpost, trail to the right
4 : km 3.88 - alt. km 3.88 - Cemetary
5 : km 5.55 - alt. km 5.55 - The D335, to the left
6 : km 5.76 - alt. km 5.76 - Carriage road on the right
7 : km 6.61 - alt. km 6.61 - Rue des Colombes on the left
D/A : km 6.83 - alt. km 6.83
Villarzel is a small village where parking is non-regulated. You can easily find a spot to park if you respect traffic and the villagers. 3 or 4 places are available near the start point.
The hike is waymarked Yellow (a line) and a few signpost remind you that you're on the Visigoths trail. The hike is pleasant and easy but good shoes are essential due to certain areas of terrain.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2345E.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Visits to the Visigoths museum in Villarzel-Cabardès village available by reservation.
Exploring La Montagne Noire and one of the highest waterfalls in Europe.
This trail is a marvel exploring the Saut de Vezoles and its lake with spectacular amenities.
This hike, at the start of La Caunette, will take you above Minerva and will let you discover the megaliths scattered along the route. You'll criss-cross vines, scrubland composed of gorse, thyme, brush, evergreen oak trees and the odd wood.
Lake Cavayère is the place to visit in Carcassonne when the sun is out. The path around the lake is laid out clearly and is very easy to follow even with children (over ten years). The ever present lake provides a very pleasant setting.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.