A pleasant little walk. Take a picnic and make a day of it.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Start and finish at the car park beside the chemist on the RN568 road, level with number 58B.
(D/A) Head west along the road and then take the Chemin des Esclades to the left. At the barrier, turn right and follow this track up on to the plateau.
(1) Take the track to the right to reach a further junction.
(2) Head left past the Puits de l'Œuvre to reach a major path junction.
(3) Continue straight on, head right at the fork to another junction.
(4) Turn right and shortly after cross a dirt road to start the descent into the Vallon des Fontettes valley. You will reach a further path junction.
(5) Continue downwards by the path in the valley floor to Figuerolles beach, which is a very pleasant spot for a picnic.
(6) Climb up along the end of the cliff and continue north to return to the previous junction.
(5) Take the path to the right to continue up towards Fort Figuerolles. Pass by the fort, leaving it some way off to the right, or go over and explore it (it need not take more than five minutes). Return to the waymarked track.
(7) Follow it to the left and carry on to the dirt road previously mentioned, reaching it at a water cistern. Cross the dirt road to return to the same junction as on the outward route.
(4) Continue straight on to the previous junction seen on the outward leg.
(3) Take the path to the right to reach a dirt road leading to Le Rove.
(8) Head left along the track on the plateau. After passing under the power lines, branch off the track along a path, pass twice more under the power lines and return to the first junction of the walk.
(1) Return to the car park (D/A), retracing the first part of the route.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.68 - alt. km 0.68 - Plateau, head southwest
2 : km 0.98 - alt. km 0.98 - Head south
3 : km 1.94 - alt. km 1.94
4 : km 2.22 - alt. km 2.22 - Path junction
5 : km 3.72 - alt. km 3.72 - Head south
6 : km 4.54 - alt. km 4.54 - Figuerolles beach
7 : km 6.5 - alt. km 6.5 - Path junction
8 : km 9.24 - alt. km 9.24 - Game reserve, head northwest
D/A : km 10.76 - alt. km 10.76 - Chemist car park
Protect yourself against the sun and take swimwear, a towel and sunglasses if doing the walk in summer.
Wear good shoes, take drinking water and respect the environment.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3145ET.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Visit the fort
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.