Leaving from Garde Pass, a beautiful hike through the Croupatier massif.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Start at the Garde Pass (there is parking next to the big cistern). Access is from Toulon in the direction of Revest-les-Eaux then Broussan (D51). Be careful, the road is narrow.
(D/A) Take the road for a few metres and then head straight away to your left onto the wide path which goes downhill through the valley of the Garde Pass.
(1) Be careful not to miss the narrow path heading off (south-west direction) which will follow along the contour level.
(2) Turn sharply to the left along the small (dry) stream.
(3) Ignore the path heading off on the right and continue to climb. The path becomes more and more stony and steep. Go under an electricity line and ignore the paths heading off on both sides, instead continue uphill until you reach the GR®51.
(4) Take the GR®51 to the left and continue to climb, going back under the same electricity line until you reach a large cairn which indicates the branch to take to go down to the cave.
(5) Keep going up to the cliff and then take a very narrow and steep path which, in a few dozen metres, leads to the cave in the cliffs. Go back up to the last branch (cairn).
(5) Turn right onto the GR®51. Go in front of the ruins and, a bit further on, ignore the D262 path heading off to the right and instead continue on the GR® until you reach a crossroads with the D262 path.
(6) Turn left and then follow the GR®51 back downhill until you reach the car park (D/A).
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 1.02 - alt. km 1.02 - Small path on the left
2 : km 1.83 - alt. km 1.83 - Take the left along the dry stream
3 : km 1.98 - alt. km 1.98 - Take the path climbing up the right
4 : km 3.87 - alt. km 3.87 - Turn left on the GR 51
5 : km 4.86 - alt. km 4.86 - Behind a large cairn, path to the cave
6 : km 6.49 - alt. km 6.49 - Follow the GR to the left for the return
D/A : km 7.5 - alt. km 7.5
No water on this relatively-short, but difficult route, due to the % of the gradient.
You need to wear good shoes due to the stones and rocks. It is essential to take a sufficient amount of water.
For BBQs in the cave, take paper and a light. There is a large area in the centre and BBQ grills. Collect dead wood on the path just before you get there.
Variation at point (6): Turn right and do a return loop (2km) to Bau de Quatre Auros (wonderful panoramic view), not described on this hike,
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3346OT.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Croupatier Cave: http://www.fichiertopo.fr/display.php?de...
A beautiful hike to the heights of Ollioules and Sanary, off the beaten track. Exceptional views over the on the coast of La Ciotat in Porquerolles, and the interior of La Cadiere d'Azur in Revest, the chain of the Sainte Baume ridges and the gorges of Ollioules.
The path alternates between shaded areas in the Mediterranean scrubland and parts where the sun heats the limestones of the La Colle massif.
On this walk you'll discover some of the locations used to film Manon des Sources and Jean de Florette (1986): the Grotte de Mounoï cave, the dried-up stream and the Villa Renard - the hunchback's house.
This route will also let you discover the Vallon des Martyrs, with its monument commemorating resistance fighters executed by the SS in 1944. All along the walk you'll experience incredible Provence landscapes and the Sainte-Baume.
A nice climb to the top of Coudon (altitude 702 m) near Toulon.
This hike is not very difficult and is suitable for the whole family.
Pretty paths through the pines and the garrigue.
One of the Var's most beautiful walks.
This hike climbs Mont Faron on wide tracks and offers a breathtaking view over the most beautiful bay in Europe.
A truely beautiful balcony hike between sea and mountains towards Cape Sicié arriving at Notre-Dame de la Garde or du Mai
360 ° view.
A real route for hiking lovers. The Destel trail (named after the stream) offers a varied and enjoyable walk (climbing with a handrails and chains, a path along the water's edge, walking through the cuves (natural basins)).
A hike in the outskirts of Toulon where you get a 360° view of the amazing countryside. A big meeting place for spies who monitor Toulon harbour.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.