This hike is based on the route published by SICOVAL "Circular walk from Notre-Dame des Bois", which I modified at the end.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Leave from the car park in Clermont-le-Fort in the north of the village.
(D/A) Head towards the south slope of the village, where you will discover the architecture of the town hall, the church, the wells (in the church courtyard), the orientation table and the fortified gate.
(1) Take the small path (Yellow waymarking and posts) which goes down the peak just to the left of the marker, opposite the gate. This section is partially on the nature trail, leading you close to Rive d'Aygue.
(2) Take the road on the left and then join a path 100m on the right. From there, follow alongside the small river through the shady, but very wet section (sticks) until you reach the Notre-Dame des Bois chapel.
(3) Continue on the path between the two fields until you reach the D94 road. Follow the road to the left (a windy and sunny area) until you reach Lambert.
(4) Take the path on the left. Cross the D35 and go alongside a private property on the left. There is the option to take a break by the small river in Saint-Gélis (sheltered from the wind). Continue on the path which climbs slightly up to the D68 road, turn left onto it and continue on for 20m.
(5) Turn left onto the track heading towards some houses, then take the D68 again up to the crossroads which leads to "Les cabanes" (waymarking). Go in front of the 'Cabanes' (cabins).
(6) Take the perpendicular path on the right and go downhill between the trees. Climb up the small valley (option to picnic here in the shade, there are large tree trunks).
(7) Climb up again towards the D68 which you then cross in order to take the path opposite. After a 90° turn to the left, you join the D68 again. Follow the D68 (quite well used, with wide aisles on the right) for 300m up to the first crossroads. Turn right and locate a small, barely-visible, path on the left (Yellow marker on a street light).
(8) Cross the field heading in the direction of the small hill. From here, there is no longer any Yellow waymarking.
(9) Go around the small hill and almost reach the summit of the burial mound which offers a superb view of the Ariège valley (flat summit suitable for a picnic in the sun).
(9) Follow the small path which goes alongside the "Marcounat" property and then stay on the cliff ridge (during hunting season, there are posts), until you reach the small Rigautié river which can be bigger in the spring.
(10) Take the path on the left and re-join the road (Chemin de Clermont). Follow the road to the north for 50m where a very small, barely-visible, path begins on the left.
(11) Take it until your reach the right-hand bank of the Ariège. Follow this path which goes back into the shade of the trees, until you reach Clermont-le-Fort before Rive d'Aygue, this is the discovery (nature) trail.
(12) Undertake the rough, but short, climb up to the left which takes you back to the Fortified Gate.
(1) Take the path heading off to the left in order to return to the car park.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.18 - alt. km 0.18 - Porte fortifiée (fortified gate)
2 : km 0.52 - alt. km 0.52 - Place called Rive d'Aygue
3 : km 3.33 - alt. km 3.33 - Notre-Dame des Bois Chapel
4 : km 5.14 - alt. km 5.14 - Place called Lambert
5 : km 6.97 - alt. km 6.97 - Junction D68
6 : km 7.92 - alt. km 7.92 - Place called "les Cabanes"
7 : km 8.12 - alt. km 8.12 - Brègue
8 : km 9.49 - alt. km 9.49 - End of the Yellow waymarking
9 : km 9.83 - alt. km 9.83 - Burial mound
10 : km 10.86 - alt. km 10.86 - Rigautié small river
11 : km 11.18 - alt. km 11.18 - Crossroads towards Ariège
12 : km 13.56 - alt. km 13.56 - Discovery (nature) trail
D/A : km 14.15 - alt. km 14.15
If the ground is very wet, you will need sticks (especially for Infernet).
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2144O.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.