A lovely hike offering beautiful views of the Rhône Valley, the Alps and the Ardèche. A 15-minute drive from Valence, this hike leads you around the beautiful surroundings of this small village. Note that Saint-Romain-de-Lerps is one of the classic walks in the area, because there is a beautiful lookout point with a chapel, 2 orientation tables and a picnic area alongside.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park at the of Saint-Romain-de-Lerps town centre. The car park is next to the cemetery, leading towards the lookout point.
(S/F) Head south and reach the crossroads. Follow the D287 road right up to 150 m below the village and after the left turn, take the clearly visible and well-marked path to the right of the road. Nice view over the Ardèche 100 m further on. Pass by a path to the left and head onto a tricky (furrowed) downhill section for 100 m and reach the Col de Gazereau (571 m).
(1) Follow the road to the right in the direction of Simondon and Préaux. 150 m after Préaux, take a track to the left and turn left again to follow a horizontal track for 1 km (Serre Long) until it crosses the D287. Cross here, continue straight on and enter the forest (Le Bachat, les Fenières). A steep descent brings us to Les Fenières.
(2) Turn 90° to the left. 100 m further on arrive at a crossroads.
(3) Continue on the little road opposite that slopes to the left and down to the Chazal. Head through this small hamlet. Reach the adjoining horizontal path (gulley), which then passes through meadows.
Further on at a Y-junction, head down to the right: the path is clear and well marked. Cross a small stream (a nice place to stop for a break...) and eventually reach an old bridge over the Ozon.
(4) This is the lowest point of the hike. So we will have to go up. Follow the path into the woods to a small road 20 m before the entrance of the Castle of Besset (private property). Turn left and follow across a horizontal path through fields for 200 m to the coast 529.
(5) Turn left to begin a steep 200 m climb, along the fence. It joins a small road, still uphill. The track continues 200 m to the left and continues straight on the road (581 m marker on the IGN map). 2nd steep climb and the end of the "difficult” parts.
(6) Arrive at Serre du Sabot to 640 m on a broader level road. An unobstructed view of the Alps and the Rhône Valley. Follow this road to the left to reach Saint-Romain-de-Lerps about 2.5 km further on. An easy end to the hike.
After returning to Saint-Romain-de-Lerps, turn right on the Chemin du Pic, pass the car park (S/F) and the cemetery to get to Belvédère du Pic (800 m round trip). This area’s beautiful landscape complete with a chapel offers a beautiful view of the Rhône valley, the Alps, the Ardèche... A beautiful tourist spot.
(7) Head back to the car park by the same path (S/F)
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.95 - alt. km 0.95 - Col de Gazareau
2 : km 3.57 - alt. km 3.57 - Les Fenières
3 : km 3.77 - alt. km 3.77 - Crossroads at alt. 562 m
4 : km 4.87 - alt. km 4.87 - Bridge on the Ozon
5 : km 5.5 - alt. km 5.5 - 529 m marker
6 : km 6.72 - alt. km 6.72 - Serre du Sabot
7 : km 9.76 - alt. km 9.76 - Belvédère du Pic
D/A : km 10.28 - alt. km 10.28
Hiking shoes are required. Some gullied sections.
The Chazal spring (except in summer...) and a small stream of the Ozon.
A bar and restaurant in Saint-Romain-de-Lerps.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3036OT.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Belvedere du Pic in Saint-Romain-de-Lerps: Amenities (water, picnic tables, toilets), a chapel, beautiful view.
A nice family-friendly walk in the forest which starts from Duzon bridge leading to a galaxy of stones at the Cuves de Duzon, a geological curiosity. The river has effectively bored out several “cauldrons" and flows through a narrow crevice that the path follows.
Hike near the Rhône, to the north of Ardèche. You will be surprised to find areas that are this "wild" so close to the Rhône Valley (Ardennes). At the end, the view of the Rhône and the Arras tower is a definite plus.
A ride on the peaks of the Massif de Crussol, 20 minutes from Valencia via the castle.
Over the Rhone balconies between grape vines and apricot trees, with pretty little streams.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.