A lovely walk from Ashford in the Water taking in a wide range of terrains including two dales, the River Wye and the Great Shacklow Wood. It's a good un!
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D) Depart from Ashford in the Water Car Park on Court Lane. Walk straight out the entrance and head towards Fennel Street past the post box in the wall. Turn right up Vicarage Road and proceed to the top of the hill and past the farm.
(1) At the finger post on the right take the footpath through the field. Go through the gate and cross the road to take the path opposite towards the barn at the bottom of the slope. Follow the path through another gate until reaching a stile at a lane. Cross the lane and go through the gate opposite and follow the track through the fields through two gates and over a stile until you reach the Monsal Trail. Turn left and then immediately cross the stile on the right towards Little Longstone. Follow the track through two gates until reaching the village.
(2) Turn left at the village and follow the road until you reach the Monsal Head Hotel. Pass the right of the pub and move to the finger post through a gap in the wall.
(3) At the finger post turn left towards Ashford/Monsal Dale and follow the path, after a short distance the path splits take the right fork and proceed though the woods. Crossing the river near the weir turn left and proceed along the river bank for 1.5km until you reach the A6.
(4) Cross the A6, go up the bank to the White Post car park. Take the path opposite between the sign and the rubbish bin towards Deep Dale (Diimin Dale). Follow the stream up Deep Dale until you reach a stile, (This part of the path can be a stream after wet weather, but it is easily passable). Cross the stile and proceed up the hill towards Ashford, at the next finger post turn left (Ashford/Sheldon) and continue into the woods.
(5) At the wall in the woods go through the gate and continue through the woods for 1.7km until you reach an old mill by the River Wye.
(6) At the old mill proceed along the path to the right for 900m until you reach the lane.
(7) Turn left down the lane, at the main road turn right and after 200m cross the road and over the bridge back to Ashford in the Water. Proceed straight up Fennel street and back to the car park
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0 - Car Park in Ashford in the Water
1 : km 0.49 - alt. km 0.49 - Finger Post outside Ashford
2 : km 2.33 - alt. km 2.33 - Little Longstone
3 : km 3.06 - alt. km 3.06 - Monsal Head
4 : km 5.6 - alt. km 5.6 - White Post Car Park
5 : km 6.17 - alt. km 6.17 - Great Shacklow Wood
6 : km 7.65 - alt. km 7.65 - Disused Mill by the River Wye
7 : km 8.54 - alt. km 8.54 - Lane by the River Wye
D/A : km 9.26 - alt. km 9.26 - Car Park in Ashford
Toilet in Car Park at the beginning (Donate in the Honesty Box for parking and toilet)
Public Toilets at White Post Car Park
Public Houses in Ashford in the Water, Little Longstone and at Monsal Head
Nice cafes at Monsal Head (not open in the winter) and Ashford in the Water
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Lovely village of Ashford in the Water
Views from Monsal Head
Great Shacklow Wood
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.