A hike to discover Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, the Lot river and its towpath, and the plateau above the village.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Access: At Sain-Cirq, paying car parks near the village are often full in summer. We left the car in the area for motor homes right after the campsite when you arrive by the bridge over the Lot.
(S) In the motor home area, head back to the road, but before we get there, turn right on a dirt road that goes to the village. This path leads to a road: follow it.
(1) At the fork, do not go up to the village but turn right on a road that passes through the lower village along the Lot. Pass near a mill and a lock (2) then continue by the citadel. Follow this road to quickly find the GR®36-46 markings from the left.
(3) Further on, the road moves away a little from the river to cross fields. Pass near houses and turn right, always following the GR® on a path (4) passing by the road continuing straight ahead. Shortly after reaching the edge of the Lot, follow it on the left on a wide path which soon leads to the beginning of the towpath carved into the cliff.
(5) Continue straight ahead along the river. Pass under a railway bridge before reaching a car park at the entrance of Bouziès where the road becomes paved.
(6) Follow the red and white markings of GR®36-46 to cross the village. In summary: the car park exit, continue straight, veering slightly to the right. Continue until the road crosses the river, cross the road (not the river), go straight for a few metres then turn left. This leads onto a road, turn right and right again at the fork. Continue on this road passing by, further, on the left, a road heading back. Reach an intersection marked with a cross.
(7) Continue straight, still on the GR®, on the road that rises slightly to cross the fields. Reach a junction with a cross. Turn right and shortly after, turn right again on a small road which goes down to the river. Cross the railway and immediately veer left to walk along the railway below. Leave the road, veer left at a bridge under the railway and go straight on a road, always following the GR®.
(8) This path is close to the Lot and runs right alongside it. Pass near the hamlet of Port la Lèque. Further along, pass the wide path to veer left, under a railway bridge.
(9) Still on the GR®. The trail rises rapidly on the plateau, away from the river. Hike through the woods until Pech Lapeyre.
(10) Go back down gradually leading to a road, D8, near a “gariotte” and a cross.
(11) Pass the GR® markings by on the right and follow the road on the left. At the next intersection, turn right through the village of Lapeyre. Pass in front of the church.
(12) Turn left at the next intersection. Further on, there is the D8, which bears right. We will stay on this fairly quiet road for some time. Further on, pass the road to Pech Lamat on the right, then pass by the D197 on the right.
(13). Further along, pass the Route de Bogros on the left and, after a bend, pass Route de Maison Rouge on the right. Further along, pass the narrow Route de Mas Cantagrel on the left and, shortly after, finally pass by the D8.
(14) Turn left onto the small road that descends into the valley of Bouziès. This small road winds through the scrub on the plateau fir a few kilometres to lead onto another road.
(15). Here can be found local markings that we will follow to the end, the Chemin des Herbes de la Saint-Jean Turn right and start to climb upwards. The road soon turns into a wide path. Before arriving at a place called the Estayrals (16) turn left on a trail back to Saint-Cirq (signs and markings). This narrow path winds through the woods and comes to a road.
(17) Cross it to continue straight ahead Further along, pass by another marked trail on the left that goes down to the towpath, to continue straight ahead.
(18). Reach a road and take it onwards. In a turn, go straight ahead (19) a path that leads to a car park. From the car park, follow the marked path back down to the village of Saint-Cirq.
(20) Then, to return to your car, go down the other side of the village. Take a path down to the left towards the nautical centre (21) and go straight to the starting point of the circuit.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0
1 : km 0.24 - alt. km 0.24 - Fork
2 : km 0.61 - alt. km 0.61 - Near the sluice
3 : km 1.32 - alt. km 1.32 - The path joins with the GR36-46
4 : km 2.41 - alt. km 2.41 - Turn right towards Le Lot
5 : km 3.06 - alt. km 3.06 - Beginning of the excavated towpath
6 : km 4.35 - alt. km 4.35 - Bouziès car park
7 : km 5.32 - alt. km 5.32 - Continue straight ahead
8 : km 7.61 - alt. km 7.61 - Continue straight ahead on a path
9 : km 8.54 - alt. km 8.54 - Turn left, walk under the bridge
10 : km 9.87 - alt. km 9.87 - Near Pech Lapeyre
11 : km 11.33 - alt. km 11.33 - Leads out to the D8
12 : km 12.15 - alt. km 12.15 - Turn left after the church
13 : km 13.36 - alt. km 13.36 - Pass by the D197 on the right
14 : km 14.74 - alt. km 14.74 - Take the small road on the left
15 : km 18.28 - alt. km 18.28 - Head up on the right
16 : km 19.17 - alt. km 19.17 - Take the left path
17 : km 20.01 - alt. km 20.01 - Cross the D40
18 : km 20.24 - alt. km 20.24 - Ignore the left path
19 : km 21.31 - alt. km 21.31 - Turn left towards the car park
20 : km 22.11 - alt. km 22.11 - Saint-Cirq-Lapopie
21 : km 22.58 - alt. km 22.58 - Turn left towards the nautical base
D/A : km 23.32 - alt. km 23.32
The main difficulty of this circuit is its length. So you must bring water and a snack, and good shoes. In summer, think about sun protection because even if the roads through the woods, they are not always in the shade.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2139O.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The village of Saint-Cirq-Lapopie (20).
The edges of the Lot with its towpath and locks (2) at (6).
Discover the vegetation of floodplains (8) to (9).
Arrival at the mesa, discover its plant life and peaceful atmosphere from (9) to (19).
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.