A scenic walk between the mountain passes of Col du Châtoux and Col du Joncin.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D) Set out from the car park at Col du Chatoux (the information panel says Col du Chêne) on the D116.
(1) Take the path to the left until you reach the “Fontaine des ânes” spring. Carry straight on along the path opposite you (GR76) which climbs up and becomes increasingly stony as it goes through the woods. After a slightly difficult passage, the view broadens until you have a beautiful panorama at Bribéral viewpoint (orientation board).
Continue along the path which starts out flat, and then begins a 200 metre descent, which is very stony.
At Le Bribéral, carry straight on towards Saint-Cyr-le-Chatoux.
(2) After the picnic table, take the path to the left, which takes you on an easier descent down to the Col de Joncin.
(3) Walk 50 metres down the tarmacked road, then take the path to the left.
(4) Then take the road which will lead you easily back to Col de Châtoux.
D/A : km 0 - alt. km 0 - Path to the “Fontaine des ânes” spring
1 : km 0.76 - alt. km 0.76
2 : km 2.93 - alt. km 2.93
3 : km 3.68 - alt. km 3.68 - On the left, the path that comes back down
4 : km 6.08 - alt. km 6.08 - Col de Joncin
5 : km 7.59 - alt. km 7.59 - The return road to Col de Châtoux
D/A : km 8.32 - alt. km 8.32
Orientation board and picnic tables at the Bribéral viewpoint.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2930ET.
Hikideas and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Restaurant-Inn at Chatoux: Le Châtoux Fleuri.
From Col du chatoux (or col du Chêne), this hike goes through woods along the ridge line offering wonderful views:
-over the Saône and eastern Beaujolais valleys
- over Azergues Valley to the west.
A Short yet tough hike through the Monts d'Or. Very nice in good weather and on dry ground.
This path is very pleasant in the Autumn, with a magnificent view of the monts d'Or, Lyon and the Rhone valley.
This route can be extended in the direction of Yzeron or Thurin.
A very nice circuit around the Monts du Lyonnais to explore the climbing area at Py Froid.
A lovely, easy walk through the woods above Chamelet.
A hike along the balconies in the south of Burgundy through the vineyards.
A hike in Beaujolais through vineyards and forests, starting from Juliénas near Belleville. This hike can be shortened or lengthened (see description).
A hike on the highest summit of the Rhône Department.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.